intercooler misting kit

Danke
Hi everyone :00000299

I have just fitted a intercooler misting kit to my T8..
the kit was made by me with all Saab parts, apart from the misting nozzles(which are German)Gardena Mirco misting nozzles..

the kit follows what Saab did in the early 1980's for their Water Injection system for 99T & C900T

I used.......

1. standard washer bottle
2. washer pump
3. Saab/Bosch flasher unit
4. overboost switch
5. 2 mist nozzles
6. Saab "Extra" switch for dash
7. wire & washer tube.

first fit 2nd washer bottle
DSC00674.jpg

I had to move the "APC" unit & other things to make room for the washer bottle
DSC00675.jpg

"APC" now sits infront of the left hand headlamp
DSC00676.jpg

"EXTRA" switch on dash, next to "LED" knock sensor
DSC00679.jpg

overboost switch used to trigger the automatic intercooler misting kit its set at 0.6bar at the moment, also the Gardena Mirco mist nozzles
DSC00688.jpg

finished unit overboost switch & flasher unit mounted on a "APC" bracket so everything is easy to adjust/change with the bonnet open
DSC00689.jpg

the system is fully automatic, but I have a "Extra" switch on the dash, so I can turn the misting kit off in the winter when I don't need it.. ie when the outside temp is below 5deg C

If I have trouble with the set up I can change it over to a real Water Injection system without too much work.

Paul

please, can we see other pics with the nozzels for the intercooler...???

I'll take a few more pictures with the intercooler/nozzle tomorrow

Paul

I just took this one today the nozzle is the small white thing at the top the blue thing is the washer line its blue silicone.

DSC00750.jpg

Paul

well had a little blast yesterday on a open/clear road
4th gear boost was 1.1bar then drops to 1bar then up to 1.2bar so the misting kit seems to be cooling the intercooler..

also just got a low level water switch to go into the washer bottle, so when there is 1.5litres left in the washer bottle a light on the dash will light up.

my car is back on the dyno next month so we will see, before then I'm getting the intercooler to throttle body intake pipe replaced with a 3"(75mm) stainless steel one, that will have no restriction in it.

also having Carlsson Twin exit tailpipes made on the stainless steel exhaust

Paul

It would be interesting to actually measure the air temperature behind the intercooler - anyone ever thought of that?

How is Your water consumption?

Would alcohol cool better (as we all know it evaporates faster)?

I have organised a Rolling Road/Dyno day for the 17th September & I'll be measuring the temperature then to see what the misting kit does.

as for consumption only about 1litre used so far, I need further testing..

& yes alcohol would evaperate faster a member of the ethanol family like vodka :00000449

Paul

How about some Ice in your washer bottle?
Sorry couldn't resist!

I've already thought about that :lol

Paul

Hi Paul!

You'd better use Isopropanol in a separate canister. But if the engine temp. raises then more than usual, you'd better pick your extinguisher from under your seat! ;-)

Former days, i was playing with another solution. What about icing spray, like doctors are using it? I know, very mad, but i was thinking about it.

I picked up my timer delay switch yesterday

"ON" for 8 seconds then "OFF" for 8 seconds this should aid the cooling by giving the intercooler a chance to evaporate the water better faster thus taking away the "HEAT"

I'll fit it at the weekend Paul

well fitted the timer delay this morning
took 3 pictures for you boys, first two are of timer delay the third is of the installation
DSC00788.jpg

DSC00787.jpg

"REDBOX" timer delay, I needed to fit it into something as the bottom of the circuit board is all "LIVE"

DSC00789.jpg

as tested this morning it works "ON" for 8 seconds then "OFF" for 8 seconds etc etc
I also add 1.5 litres of distilled water into the washer bottle, all I need to do now is fit the low level water light..

Paul

Zurück
Oben