Heuschmid HS 1kit

Danke
Hi & hello
as you can see I am English,
I have a 1987 8v turbo which I brought from Abbott Racing :lol: as a project...
it is a 5 door combi-coupe in Cirrus White... one owner from new & low mileage only 108k miles..
now can any of you help I have just fitted a new cylinder head..
& it has a Heuschmid camshaft in it :lol: :lol:
my car had 155bhp , but I was told that the new camshaft will make 180bhp Ihave a intercooler fitted as standard
have any of you guys had one of these camshafts fitted/what are they like..
had a new head gasket fitted last week so have not had time for a drive with boost ;)
any toughts ideas cheers Paul

Are you sure modified cams are fitted? In 87, as far as I’m informed, Heuschmid just dismantled and re-assembled the engines because they didn’t come in good condition from the factory. (not a single bolt had the correct torque setting). He added his big intercooler and modified the boost pressure control system and had in the end 180 hp, but without changing cams. Tell me, if I’m wrong, best wishes, Martin

and, I forgot, he used an exhaust system with less resistance (absorption type). A sharp sports cam is usually contraproductive in turbo engines, because it gives you an increase of power in high revs, and a loss of torque in low revs, the second point will sacrifice the drivability of an turbo engine with the turbo lag in the low revs, whereas the first point is not needed. The intake is under presure, that’s why you can hardly get a better filling with a sports cam. Good luck, Martin

Hi Paul!

Yes, there were sport-cams from HS, but they were only fitted in the B20-turbos (1978-1981) und in the rally-cars (99turbos) of Heuschmid.
Sport-cams weren`t used in the modern H-engines (B201 / B202) and most/all reasons for that Martin did already mention.

If you want a maximum-output of your turbo-engine sport-cams do help, but driveability in lower and mid-rev`s gets lost.

Heuschmid furthermore did some porting and blueprinting to the head and refinements on ignition and injection. The turbos w/o APC had 180DIN-PS, the 8-valve-turbos with APC had 170 DIN-PS.

Back to topic: some swedish guys claim the 900i`s cam to bring a power-gain to the turbos...but I personally doubt it.

Do you have a picture of your car and engine-bay to upload here? THX!

I hope I could help you a bit...

See you,
TobiasM

8V-camshafts from APC-generation onwards (~1982/83) are all the same and do not depend on carburettor, injection or turbo equipment.
As far as I know (and as TobiasM already described) Heuschmid used the EMS-camshaft on his B20-turbo-engines.

Hi evereyone,
thanks for your replys, :D now this is a new cylinder head to me (second hand)
I had a head gasket failer on my original head, took the car to the garage for a new head gasket.
had a new head gasket fitted, but it failed with 40 miles of leaving the garage :evil:
the original head was skimmed,but it failed...
I got a free complete cylinder head in very good condition :D
the garage fitted this head & repaired the car again..
now the car drives fine...
the man who gave me the cylinder head e-mailed me the other day saying ..he had a Heuschmid HS 1 Kit fitted to his early pre-intercooler 900 8v turbo..the kit was a camshaft & intercooler..
his car was a lot faster with this kit fitted..he is now also sending me all the details of his car & the Heuschmid kit..
the cylinder head had been in his garage for 10 years before he sent it to me..

my original cylinder head is back at the machine shop being pressure tested for cracks,I did not pay for the first head gasket repair ;) ;)

I have no pictures at the moment of my car but I will post some when I get them..I will also post detail of the original cylinder head(Heuschmid camshaft) when I get them..

many thanks Paul

Hi all,

I am getting a ITG freeflow airfilter fitted this week...
which will be better for mid-range punch...
I am use stock airbox with a few extra holes drilled in it..
the cars going on a rolling road at the end of this month ,so I will see what BHP the car has now got....

Abbott Racing fit ITG air filters ..have anyone here fitted them,Ihave heard good things about them....

all the best Paul

no paul, haven`t heard of itg...k+n is known here. I am excited for your dyno-results...wanted to dyno my 16S too, two weeks ago. But the yerks wanted to dyno my baby without me having a (controlling) look at them...so I unfortunately had to cancel the date :(

The main problem with hot cams on a turbo motor is the overlapping of the valves:

On a normally aspirated engine the exhaust closes some time after the inlet is opened, in this brief time both valves are open. When this is cleverly engineered, then the leaving exhaust gases are even helping to draw in fresh inlet gases - it works via the oscillations of the two gases. The effect is to have the maximum amount of unburnt inlet gas in the cylinder.

On a turbo engine, the inlet gas is pressurised and the only effect of a hot cam with a lot overlap would be that the fresh gas is not only pressed into the cylinder - but a lot of it straight away out "the open door" of the still opened exhaust valve. Expect a lot hydrocarbons in the exhaust emissions, really :lol: awful fuel consumption and maybe even lower power output, because the most of boost pressure is wasted through the exhaust.

Of course, for turbo racing engine, hot cams may be a possibility (how much overlap I don's know), but racing engineers don't have to care for good fuel consumption or green emissions ...

Hardy schrieb:
The main problem with hot cams on a turbo motor is the overlapping of the valves:

On a normally aspirated engine the exhaust closes some time after the inlet is opened, in this brief time both valves are open. When this is cleverly engineered, then the leaving exhaust gases are even helping to draw in fresh inlet gases - it works via the oscillations of the two gases. The effect is to have the maximum amount of unburnt inlet gas in the cylinder.

On a turbo engine, the inlet gas is pressurised and the only effect of a hot cam with a lot overlap would be that the fresh gas is not only pressed into the cylinder - but a lot of it straight away out "the open door" of the still opened exhaust valve. Expect a lot hydrocarbons in the exhaust emissions, really :lol: awful fuel consumption and maybe even lower power output, because the most of boost pressure is wasted through the exhaust.

Of course, for turbo racing engine, hot cams may be a possibility (how much overlap I don's know), but racing engineers don't have to care for good fuel consumption or green emissions ...

my Hydrocarbons were low 0048 ppm & up to 0060 ppm fuel was well about 22mpg..power is up a T16S, top speed is 130mph @5200rpm......
but I still need answers on my timing, did Heuschmid run with standard Saab timing or did they run with modified timing,....

Paul

Zurück
Oben