EGR removal

Danke
Hi everyone,

who has removed their EGR system on a T8..
I`m going to remove mine at the weekend as the EGR valve is leaking so

I`m loosing the vacuum, so the car is running/idling very low.....
on start up my idle is about 600rpm, when warm it is 800rpm, which is still low......
driving the car it is very sluggish through the gears with flatspots at about 2000/2500rpm in all gears........

has anyone removed their EGR system have you got any tips/ideas on the easy way to remove the system......
I have ordered all the plugs/blanks/plates from saab to replace the EGR system when it is removed.....

Paul

Hi Paul,
unfortunealty I can't help you with your request (since I've never done the procedure before and my 9000 runs well. :-) )
But maybe the following links are a good additional resource for you:
www.forum-auto.de (than you have to go to ´-93 Technische Hilfe" on the left menue list....)
Or www.saabscene.co.uk which is an huge (English) resource for saab users (but I'm sure you already tried it there - Am I right?)

So hopefully someone else will be a better help for you.
Keep on saabing,
mk

There are a few reasons to replace the leaking EGR valve and leave the system in the car :

- Injection and other systems might be slightly different from non-EGR cars and have to be adjusted after removal of EGR
- Tinkering with emissions related parts may be illegal where you live
- EGR is lowering emissions, think about it
- EGR is lowering fuel-consumption. Fixing my Cadillac's EGR-Valve gave me 5 miles more to the US gallon instantly, everything else left untouched

My Caddy's EGR Valve was 12$, brand new aftermarket. Of course Saab EGR's are more expensive. But I seriously advise you to fix the EGR, rather than removing it.

I've done it on a T16 without problems. But I don't know what it's like on a tu8. I just removed the whole system (all the wires, valves and the link between the exhaust and intake-system) and filled all the holes.
I had some problems finding something to filll the hole in the exhaust manifold - the original plate didn't fit anymore (because of rust), so I used a plate with 1/2" Gewinde (don't know the english word by now).

Hi boys,

been searching most saab forums saabcentral/saabscene/uksaabs/900aero.com etc etc..........

I`ve got all the saab part numbers for all the plugs/blanks/plates,these are on order from saab so I should get them this week......

as for benefits on removing the EGR system it gives up a better mid-range punch,I know of a few saabs with the EGR system removed.......

these are both T16`s & T8`s..both cars run with no problems......

even Saab Main Dealer removed the EGR system because it was more trouble than it was worth

even for our strict "MOT" test each year, the cars pass the emission test easy......

Paul

Got a phone call from Saab yesterday, all the parts are in now......
so I will get them today & fit every thing tonight.

Paul

I fitted, well removed the EGR system tonight :thumbsup:
it took about 1 hour, every thing came undone first time, very easy......
well I`ve been spraying WD40 on all the bolts/screws etc for a week now.
put all the blanks in, plates on etc
car runs better, just need to get the exhaust emissions check this week
as I think its running a bit weak....
whole job cost £25 & thats from Saab

Paul

Zurück
Oben